Over at Preachers Institute, we are about a week away (Sept. 15th) from the start of the first annual Old Testament Challenge, in which we will read the entire Old Testament of the Orthodox Canon of Scriptures in 100 days.
You will need the Ebook to access the reading schedule, so get one.
Here are a few last minute helpful hints.
- Set aside – Set aside a daily time to do this work. It’s important, so make sure you can do it without too much distraction or interruption.
- The Right Place – Find a place to read, and stay in that place. It helps if it the same place every day. It becomes your Challenge corner – the place where you sit down every day with the words “Challenge accepted!” and then begin.
- Get Supplies – Do you need a glass of water while you read? Do you read better with classical music playing? Do you need dead silence? Whatever you need to get you through it every day, make provisions to have them, so you are not getting up two or three times every day during your reading.
- Get your Journal. Yes, get a journal. A paper journal. This is an interactive exercise. You will do better, and value it more if you write. Write, don’t type, your questions, reflections and curiosities as you read. If you want to make this more than an exercise in reading a lot of words, get pen and paper and get ready.
- Finally, get connected. Join the Facebook group, Old Testament Challenge Warrior Saints Collective start by Jonathan McCormick (thanks Jonathan!). We’ll be there every day, talking about the previous day’s readings, answering questions (the ones we know the answers to anyway), and supporting each other during this 100 day exercise. Stay connected. Stay in touch, and stay on task! The schedule will take care of itself.
Do you have any questions? Ask them! And get set to get started!